Treat back pain now!
Back pain is felt along the length of the spinal cord and it has its origins in many factors like the muscles, bones, or joints. Back pain issues can be nagging, constant and severe; or it may be dull or intermittent. Surveys suggest that 80% of the people in the world suffer from back problems. Causes for back problems are varied and the pain should not be ignored, even if it may not be frequent, as this can sometimes trigger off severe back problems which will only reveal itself in time to come. You may contact a spine surgeon NJ and they will be happy to answer your questions about spine conditions and spine surgery.
Anatomically, back pain can be divided into- neck pain, middle back pain, and lower back pain or tailbone pain. If you experience it for up to 12 weeks, it is termed as “acute” and “chronic”, when it lasts for more than 12 weeks.
Medical problems that cause back pain are:
- Injuries – sprains and fractures can be the cause of severe back pain. When improper lifting or twisting happens, sprains can occur in the spine. These are tears in the ligaments that support the spine. On the other hand, a fracture in the vertebrae occurs due to osteoporosis which means weakening of the bones due to increase in the porosity. Accidents and falls may also cause fractures and sprains.
- Conditions and diseases which have been acquired- Scoliosis, which means curvature of the spine; various types of arthritis, including osteoarthiritis and rheumatoid arthritis; spinal stenosis, which means narrowing of the spinal column, therefore putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerves, are reasons for severe back pain. Pregnancy, kidney stones and infection endometriosos, which means the build-up of uterine tissue outside the uterus, and fibromyalgia, which causes fatigue and muscle pain, are other reasons for back pain.
- Tumours and infections – Tumours are a cause of back pain especially as a result of cancer that has spread from other parts of the body. When osteomyelitis which involves infection in the vertebrae, occurs, back pain may be severe. Infection may also occur in the discs, the symptom known as disctis when it involves the discs that act as cushions to the vertebrae.
Tips to improve back pain:
- Maintain good posture – You should always maintain good posture while sitting or standing, keeping in mind to keep the back straight but relaxed at all times. An improper posture puts unnecessary strain on the back and can add up to severe back problems.
- Keep exercising – Even simple exercising like walking or stretching can be very helpful. Stay away from strenuous workouts which cause back pain. It’s also a good idea to keep your weight in check as being overweight adds to back pain.
- Put a limit on bed rest – You should keep in mind that bed rest should not be taken for more than three days in a row. It is best to keep it at a minimum, and constantly remain active.
- Good nutrition – Poor nutrition may be a cause for back pain issues.Alcohol and illicit drug use is an added problem. Therefore stay away from smoking, or excessive alcohol intake.